Divorce Decree Enforcement

Going through the divorce process is draining and often very painful for all parties involved but it doesn’t make the issues that caused the divorce go away or solve all problems. Know that if you have a legally binding divorce decree it has created a legal obligation upon both you and your former spouse.  Both you and your former spouse must meet the requirements of the decree or you might be subject to enforcement by the courts. This enforcement can include being found in civil contempt of court and other enforcement methods like wage garnishment and interest for unpaid support.

Common Reasons to Request Enforcement of the Divorce Decree

Often divorcees are left not knowing what to do when their ex-spouse has failed to live up to their obligations defined within the divorce decree. The experienced Salt Lake City, Odgen, and Utah County Law attorneys at Arnold, Wadsworth & Coggins have helped many people like you to enforce their divorce decrees for a spouse who has not complied with it. The following are examples of things you can enforce against:

  • Failure to pay child support
  • Non-payment of debts
  • Failure to list or sell property to be sold under the agreement like a family home, car or other property
  • Failure to divide a retirement plan

Each of these issues will depend on the structure and nature of your divorce decree and what your ex-spouse was failing to do.

Don’t Ignore Your Rights

If you have any question whether your former spouse has failed to live up to his or her obligations under your divorce decree contact the divorce attorneys at Arnold, Wadsworth & Coggins for help in understanding what you can do to enforce the decree.

Don’t feel like you have to attempt to force your ex-spouse to act upon the agreement on your own. The court system will help you to enforce the decree and the attorneys at Arnold, Wadsworth & Coggins know what steps to take in order to make sure your rights under the decree are protected. Call today for a free consultation with one of our attorneys at (801) 475-0123.

Related Topics

Family Law Divorce
Child Custody
Utah Support Lawyer
Divorce & Family Law
Divorce and Family Law Attorney
Paternity Lawyer